Saturday 27 October 2012

Day 168: Smoked salmon and avocado on rye toast


I always thought that when I made this recipe, I’d be making it as a supper. Instead though, I made it as a breakfast (part 2). The recipe was Smoked salmon and avocado on rye toast and it was a delight. Here’s how I made it…

In a bowl, I mixed chopped basil, chopped mint, diced red onion, crème fraiche and diced avocado with salt and pepper. I then toasted slices of rye bread and buttered them. The recipe said to cut up smoked salmon but I actually used wafer thin slices instead. I set two slices each on the rye toast followed by a large spoonful of the creamy avocado mixture and, that was it, breakfast was served.

The verdict…

Dear Husband said it was ‘outstanding’ and awarded the recipe 8 marks out of 10. Yes, well, you know he’s a hard marker. I ate the avocado mixture on buttered toast minus the salmon and, I must say, this was a truly exceptional recipe so I’m going to give it a 9.

One of the many, many great things is that this recipe would be an excellent recipe for breakfast, brunch or supper. For me, this has been one of the highlights of this Challenge for me personally. I probably don’t need to say this but, I will; this recipe is going on The List! Oh, and I’ve just thought that this would be a good breakfast to take to work as long as you have access to a toaster, just keep a box of Tic-Tacs handy – well, there is red onion in the recipe. The avocado mixture could just go into a small Tupperware container until you are ready to eat it.

Overall, this recipe was easy to make, quick, healthy and tasty. It probably gets bonus marks from me as the salmon is a healthy source of protein and contains omega-3 oils whilst the avocado contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fats which, again, are the ones we all need to be eating more of.

If only I’d known before now that this recipe was going to be so good, I wouldn’t have waited until the last 10 days of this Challenge to make it. Further proof that it’s always good to try recipes which you may think will be average but actually turn out to be extremely good.

No comments:

Post a Comment