Tuesday 2 October 2012

Day 143: Tuna and haricot bean salad


Haricot beans were to going to be a hard sell no matter what way I was going to prepare them. I couldn’t do my usual of sneaking a surprise ingredient in and hope that Dear Husband didn’t notice. Beans are beans and when Dear Husband innocently enquired “What are these things?!”, I had to tell him and concede that this recipe probably wouldn’t go as well as I’d hoped. The recipe was Tuna and haricot bean salad and here’s what I did.
Into a bowl, I put chopped sun-dried tomatoes, haricot beans, pesto, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. The recipe also said to use scallions but (in my wisdom!) I decided to use red onion. Did I say wisdom? More like my detriment. Anyway, I mixed it all together and then added in chunks of drained tuna.
The verdict…
Dear Husband said there were too many onions in it and the beans weren’t nice; therefore, 5 marks out of 10. I told him that there were practically no taste from the beans and they took on the other flavours but, unfortunately, no amount protesting would change Dear Husband’s mind.
Overall, it was an extremely simple and quick recipe to make. Most of the ingredients come from your cupboards so it’s an ideal recipe when you’re in a hurry. If I do make this recipe again, I will definitely stick to using scallions instead of red onion. On that point, I had also put two extra portions in the fridge for him to take for lunch tomorrow so it’ll be interesting in the morning to see if he actually took them. Until them, the jury is out as to whether or not this recipe has made The List. To be continued…

2 comments:

  1. Not something I would usually go for but this looks surprisingly tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicola! Just don't go over board with the onions like I did! Huge congrats on making the Blog Award Finals! :)

    ReplyDelete