Saturday 20 October 2012

Day 161: Mixed root remoulade with ham


Remember Saucepan Man from Day 77’s post? Well, Saucepan Man made a comeback today only, this time, he was selling knives. I knew nothing of it until I got home so thankfully Dear Husband managed to get through the transaction without having to offload the encounter to me via the phone. I then arrived home with the two children and food shopping only to see this strange looking metal briefcase on the kitchen table. Honestly, it wouldn’t go amiss on a programme like CSI. There’s nothing more that Dear Husband likes than haggling so of course he had to get a discount. Honestly, I pity some poor unfortunate people that come to our door because they really don’t know what’s ahead of them at times for Dear Husband makes a convincing case no matter what the subject is. He's certainly not a walkover. For example, a few years ago, I landed home on a Saturday from doing the food shopping and Dear Husband was sitting having a cup of tea with this man at the table. Well, it’s nothing strange in Donegal that different people call to someone’s house about this, that or the other and they’re welcomed in for tea but Dear Husband was yapping away and I made them another cup of tea. Sure I didn't know who he was but it doesn't matter - everyone gets invited in for tea in Donegal. It turned out that the man (who Dear Husband had never met until that day) was a Jehovah’s Witness and, as they do, he was obviously trying to get Dear Husband to think about converting. However, the poor man picked the wrong house as Dear Husband spent a good hour trying to convert our guest back to being a Catholic. Honestly. I’m not making this up. There Dear Husband was dealing out the scientific concept of evolution and was in full swing about Adam and Eve being a metaphor and all the rest. It’s no surprise that our guest (who was a lovely man) didn’t come back. Yes, that happened. Anyway so, back to the Challenge and today’s effort which was Mixed root remoulade with ham.

The recipe said to coarsely grate the vegetables but I whipped out the food processor because I just wanted an easy run at this recipe even if it did mean more cleaning up afterwards. So, I grated carrots, parsnips and celeriac before adding them into a bowl which contained mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and lemon juice. I mixed it all together before seasoning it and giving it another mix. I must also admit that I used an extra tablespoon of mayonnaise as I like coleslaw to be that bit creamier. I then took slices of fresh sourdough bread and sun-dried bread (courtesy of Harry’s local food market), toasted them and then spread them with butter. I topped each slice with the coleslaw and then a slice of prosciutto ham. I ate the bread and remoulade but minus the ham, of course.



The verdict…

Dear Husband really liked this recipe so the verdict was 7 marks out of 10. He thought the coleslaw was slightly different to my ‘normal one’ so he picked up on the fact that I’d used different ingredients. It was another first for me as today was the first time I’d ever used celeriac. I must admit that I particularly liked this coleslaw even though I love my original one which simply consists of white cabbage, carrots and mayonnaise.

To conclude, I think this recipe is a great recipe for a Sunday brunch but also a supper any night at all. It was another extremely easy and quick recipe and definitely one to have on your repertoire if you’re fortunate enough to come across beautiful artisan baked bread. Oh but freshly baked bread really is hard to beat and this recipe is already on The List. Somehow, I have a feeling that it’s going to become a regular feature in my kitchen for years to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment