Thursday 4 October 2012

Day 145: Thai chickpea and mushroom curry


Thursday evenings being Thursday evenings, there is little time to debate about dinner; in fact, there is little time available to get dinner out on the table at a reasonable hour. Therefore, I was delighted when Dear Husband was happy enough to go vegetarian for the evening which meant that I only had one dinner to make. Phew! What did I decide on? Thai chickpea and mushroom curry and here’s how it went…

I sautéed seasoned and quartered mushrooms in rapeseed oil for 8 minutes. I then added some green Thai curry paste followed by a can of coconut milk and a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. Next, I added a diced potato and some more seasoning. Once that came up to the simmer, I let it cook on for another 10 minutes or so until the diced potatoes had softened. To finish off, I added in some soy sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice and served up with boiled rice and freshly chopped coriander.

The verdict…

I really, really liked this curry – 8 marks out of 10. Dear Husband’s verdict wasn’t so generous – 5 marks out of 10. I’d say he probably deducted two marks alone seeing as the recipe had chickpeas in it! He really, really doesn’t like chickpeas, haricot beans, kidney beans etc. but does, of course, like Heinz beans. Go figure. I, on the other hand, am delighted to have found a vegetarian recipe for my list. I really do like curries but have not made many of the vegetarian variety other than Thai red curry. However, I can safely say that, I will be making this recipe often and I’m already thinking this one will be a regular feature for me on Friday nights now that winter approaches. I’ve long been a fan of my own version of Thai red curry but I found tonight’s particular recipe very different.

Overall, it was an extremely easy recipe to make and relatively quick considering the high marks it yielded (from me, that is). I concede that any recipe that involves chickpeas isn’t going to suit Dear Husband’s palate but I like them and I’m making this one again. I’ve realised that there is a major plus to making this curry in that Dear Husband didn’t go for seconds which means that I’ve enough left over for me for tomorrow night. Hmmm, a nice curry on a Friday evening, kids in bed, and the Late Late on TV. I’m looking forward to it already…   

No comments:

Post a Comment