Saturday 13 October 2012

Day 154: Lemon posset


I seriously think I’m onto something about the Saturday food shopping. I definitely think the supermarkets could go a step further and not only deliver the shopping to your door but come on in and put the shopping away for me too. Yeah, that’s definitely the way to go. Yes, they can come in to my kitchen and while I’m busy doing one of the many household chores that are synonymous with the weekend, they can busy themselves unpacking the food and putting it away. Wait. Hang on. How are they going to know where everything goes? Ah, I’m going to have to show them. It’s all very simple. Isn't it?! Any dry food items/tinned stuff goes on the pantry shelves; most of the vegetables go into Fridge No.2; the everyday items go in Fridge No.1; the ice-cream doesn’t go into either fridge freezer in the kitchen, it goes in the smaller chest freezer in the utility room; the biscuits go into the press high up in the kitchen but anything special needs to be hidden in my many hiding places in the kitchen – right so, I’ll have to tell them where the secret hiding places are; the planted herbs go into the utility but don’t forget to water them; going back to the vegetables that have to go into the fridge, I’m going to have to show them exactly the way I pack my fridge so that nothing gets squished and the food that goes out of date the quickest is put to the front and not forgotten about. Awwww, you know what?! Forget about it. I’ll just keep doing it myself. There goes that idea…  

Anyway, getting back to the Challenge, I mentioned last night that I had started on one dessert and then abandoned it because the recipe (once made) was going to take hours to chill?! Yes, well, it was Lemon posset. Do you ever take on a task because it will save you time only to find that if you had stuck to your original plan, you actually would have saved time?! It’s like when I’m stuck in heavy traffic in an unknown area, I suddenly decide I’m going to ‘take a shortcut’ because I’d rather be driving than sitting still only to get lost and arrive at my destination four phone calls later and a lot of u-turns. And yes, I am the sort of person who does get lost even with a Sat Nav. Well, I got a bit lost on my Challenge last night and the Lemon posset was going to get me back on track – 2 minutes preparation; 5 minutes cooling. Perfect! What could go wrong?! Well, the fact that I didn’t fully read the recipe initially. In one way though, it was a blessing as I had most of this recipe made last night and just had a few things to do finish it off for the post-Saturday night dinner. Here’s how I made it…

In a saucepan, I added double cream and caster sugar. I put it on a medium heat and stirred it to dissolve all the sugar until it came up to the boil. I then let it simmer for 5 minutes before removing it from the heat and set it aside for 15 minutes. It was then time to add in freshly squeezed lemon juice. I gave it all a stir and then poured the mixture into four glasses. The desserts then went into the fridge overnight and, after tonight’s dinner, I added whipped cream on top and served with some of the Shortbread biscuits which I made last night and two nice cups of Barry’s tea. Aw, doesn't my wee plate from Interior Dreams look lovely?! :)

The verdict…

A very impressive 7 marks out of 10 from Dear Husband. I gave the dessert 5 marks as it wouldn’t be a dessert I’d go out of my way to order if I was out for dinner. Give me cake any day. However, the way I ate mine was to take a shortbread biscuit and add a spoonful of the lemon posset and cream on top. I think that if you’re big into puddings, you’ll really enjoy this dessert. If, like me, you’re not, you will probably pass on this recipe. I also found that serving smaller portions is probably better than the larger four portions which I made. Will I make it again? Yes but only because Dear Husband liked it so much. It’s just not for me.

Overall, it was an extremely easy and simple recipe to make. The longest part is the chilling part so, if you make this recipe, I highly recommend you make it the day before you need it. It’s probably a dessert that would be excellent for a dinner party to get away from serving your usual desserts. That said, if I was making this for when friends come around for dinner, I would have another dessert on the menu too. Speaking of cake, I’m definitely beginning to look forward to digging into Rachel’s new cook book Cake and seeing which of those recipes are my favourites…

No comments:

Post a Comment