Thursday 25 October 2012

Day 166: Fennel and mango salad


You know it’s winter when you start making stew again. Hmmm, lovely stew. It’s hard to beat coming home on a dark evening to be welcomed by a big, steaming hot bowl on the table. Not forgetting, of course, the Yorkshire Relish on top. Yum. Well, that’s Dear Husband’s life. Mine is that I come home to raw vegetables that have to be peeled, washed, chopped and cooked. Oh but my husband does have the life. So, with Dear Husband’s dinner taken care of with the stew this evening, it meant that I could get on with mine which was Fennel and mango salad and I had nice crusty bread to go with it!

To make the salad, I cubed a fresh mango and added it into a bowl with sliced fennel, chopped mint, olive oil, lemon juice, cubed cheese and seasoning. The recipe said to use feta but I went for mild cheddar instead and then finished off the salad with a sprinkling of chopped hazelnuts.

The verdict…

Again, another salad which is surprisingly tasty. I didn’t think I’d be too fussed on this one but I really, really enjoyed it and awarded the recipe 8 marks out of 10. Definitely, another recipe that has made The List! The only way to eat this recipe is to eat a tiny bit of each ingredient with each forkful – so tasty! Despite Dear Husband having eaten a large bowl of stew (with seconds), I couldn’t resist asking him to taste the salad. As if I needed further proof about there-must-be-meat-in-a-salad-for-a-man-to-like-it theory, it was a no from him. I didn’t even ask him for the marks. I really didn’t want to know so as not to spoil how much I was enjoying mine! Yep, definitely. A salad minus meat = a no-no for Dear Husband but a salad minus meat = yes-yes for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment