Thursday 18 October 2012

Day 158: Mushroom and Gruyere tart


Ok, I’m a day behind with the blog posts but, tomorrow, I’m going to get caught up. Promise. I really do need a time machine. One of Dear Husband’s favourite films is Back to the Future and I think he’s convinced that time travel will be possible at some stage (!). I hope he’s right. In the mean time though, I got on with a relatively quick recipe which is exactly what I need every Thursday evening so I settled on Mushroom and Gruyère tart.

I began with the mushrooms. The recipe said to use flat mushrooms but I just used regular mushrooms. I cleaned them, tailed them and then sliced them before putting them in a frying pan to sauté for about 5 minutes. I also added in chopped garlic, thyme leaves and seasoning. Thank heavens too that I remembered to take the puff pastry out of the freezer this morning which meant that it was perfectly defrosted for use when I got home. All I had to do was trim it before putting it on a baking tray. I then scattered Gruyère cheese on top whilst keeping it away from the edges. Once the mushrooms were cooked, I set them on top of the cheese in a single layer. Into the oven the tart then went for 20 minutes. Once ready, I sprinkled some more thyme leaves on the tart and served. For Dear Husband, I added some prosciutto ham on top of his share.

The verdict…

Dear Husband loved this recipe and awarded it full marks!!! Yay! A ten! I thought that the prosciutto helped but he said that, even without the ham, it would still have scored a 9. I really liked this recipe and gave it an 8. Forgive my taste buds but I think they’re not in full working order as last few days. However, I really liked the thyme, cheese and mushroom combination.

Overall, it was an extremely easy and it was relatively quick recipe to make. Being able to buy puff pastry though must be one of the greatest culinary inventions ever! I can’t imagine ever being in a position to be able or inclined to make my own; therefore, without the ready-made stuff, puff pastry wouldn’t get to grace my kitchen. I’m definitely going to make this recipe again which both Dear Husband and I are very happy about. Until tomorrow folks…

2 comments: