Saturday 20 October 2012

Day 160: Japanese-style salmon tartare


Here’s a question for you…do you have certain bits of cutlery or dishware which you favour more than others? I’m talking, for example, favourite cups, favourite spoons, favourite plates, favourite chopping knives etc.? Well, I do. Dear Husband doesn’t understand it at all but, then again, he doesn’t have to. What I do know is that I can’t be alone on this front and I know for a fact that Dear Mother is the same as me. Indeed, she has a particular long, white-handled knife (which is older than me) which is her favourite. I know she doesn’t feel right if she goes to make the dinner and doesn’t have this particular knife to make it with. I can remember umpteen times of us having to search the place for it for her. Like, how many places could it possibly have been?! It’s a strange knife too because it’s like a cross between a bread knife and a sharp, cutting knife except it's not a super sharp knife. She uses it to cut her scone bread but uses it mainly to peel potatoes and cut other vegetables when cooking. I have even seen her buttering her scone bread with it on occasion. It’s some knife I tell you. They probably don’t make knives like them any more. We now live in an age where most things are designed to be disposed of rather than repaired but it means a lot to many cooking enthusiasts to have good equipment. It really does make a difference. As for cups and plates. Well, they are just cups and plates but, for some reason, there’s something about certain cups and plates which simply add to the enjoyment of the food. Today’s recipe though didn’t require much equipment but it did need a nice plate so here’s how I made Japanese-style salmon tartare.

I began by putting Wasabi, freshly grated ginger and lime juice in a bowl and gave it a mix. I then added diced cucumber and salmon to the bowl and mixed it up. Using a cooking ring, I set it on a side plate and then filled it with the salmon mix. I topped it off with chives and toasted sesame seeds and voila.




The verdict…

Dear Husband scored the recipe a very impressive 8 marks out of 10 and said he'd definitely eat it again as it was very, very nice and something different. That’s as good an indication as any as to its performance.

This was my first time cooking (or rather simply making) sushi in years as I remember that I did attempt something like this before only today’s effort was surprisingly better. Personally, I love sushi – the vegetarian kind, of course; however, it’s really hard to get. For a long time, Marks and Spencers used to sell a lunch-box portion of vegetarian sushi which I absolutely loved. The only problem is that the three M&S stores I go to either side of the border no longer stock it. What I can look forward to though is ordering a massive platter of it through their Christmas online food shopping service in the incoming months. Yum. If you’re having a Christmas get-together and there are vegetarians coming, order this. Highly recommended. Of course, M&S still do the normal sushi and I think it’s really good value for money so I occasionally buy some as an addition to Dear Husband’s lunch box.

Overall, it was an extremely easy and quick recipe to make. Without a doubt, I will make this recipe again so it is safely going on to The List. In my books, this recipe should be awarded bonus points as it uses salmon which is an excellent source of omega oils which are good for the brain and it’s hard to beat a bit of brain food. With life as busy as it is, I think we all need something like this recipe on a regular basis. Have a good weekend folks…

No comments:

Post a Comment