Saturday 6 October 2012

Day 147: Quesadillas


Today it was a lunch recipe with Quesadillas and I had been looking forward to making this one for some time. Well, I can certainly say that a Saturday morning of running here, there and everywhere does work up an appetite so it’s just as well that this recipe had something for all tastes and appetites as there were three different fillings - Gruyère and mango, Salami and mozzarella and Tomato and goat’s cheese. I made each filling as follows…

For the Gruyère and mango filling, I added grated Gruyère cheese, chopped coriander, chopped mango and a scallion into a bowl. I also had the option of putting in red chilli but I kept it separate as both Dear Son and Baby Daughter were going to be eating this filling.

For the Salami and mozzarella filling, I added grated mozzarella, pesto, olive oil and salami into a bowl and gave it a mix.

For the Tomato and goat’s cheese filling, I, once again, substituted the goat’s cheese with cheddar. Into a bowl went the grated cheddar, grated mozzarella and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. I left out the olives as neither I nor Dear Husband would be fussed on them.

I then heated a frying pan on a medium-low heat. With each tortilla, I folded them in half and then set them in the pan. I tumbled the filling on to one half of the tortilla and then folded over the other half on top and patted it with my fish slice. After a few minutes, I flipped each one around on to its other side until that side had lightly browned also. Once ready, I cut each one into three triangles and served up.

The verdicts…

Overall, Dear Husband awarded the lunch 7 marks out of 10. His individual scores for the fillings were, in first place, the salami filling (8 marks); second place was the tomato and cheese filling (6 marks); and the Gruyère filling (4 marks). I actually made a different version with mozzarella, red chilli, scallions and coriander and they were delicious.  That version is actually along the lines of Rachel’s original Quesadilla recipe which is in her Rachel’s Favourite Food cookbook. Along with tomato salsa, guacamole and crème fraiche, it is by far one of the tastiest recipes ever.

Quesadillas are a well-established recipe in our house already but, to be honest, I think I’ll stick to the original fillings from Rachel’s earlier cookbook rather than the ones from today’s effort. I’ve been making these for years since that cookbook came out in 2004 and I can safely say that I’ll be making them for many more to come. You really should try them.

2 comments:

  1. I spread pizza sauce onto the tortilla and then add mozzarella and a few veg. Goes down a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that sounds so lovely too! You are full of great food ideas! :)

      Delete