Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 152: Ginger squares with lime frosting


It was a case of now you see them, now you don’t. As if by magic, my Ginger squares with lime frosting disappeared. You see, last week, one of my groups of students got wind of my Challenge and were very eager to know when I was going to bake them something; therefore, I decided I’d try this recipe out on them. Well, one of my friends and colleagues did say that I needed to broaden my testers although she probably was volunteering her services rather than the students’ but here’s how I made the squares…

In a food processor, I added plain flour, softened butter, black treacle, eggs, baking powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and milk. I whizzed the lot for about a minute before pouring it onto a prepared baking tray which I had lined with parchment paper. I smoothed out the mixture and then popped it into the oven for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the lime frosting which instructed me to whiz up cream cheese and caster sugar along with the zest and juice of a lime. However, I misread the recipe and used icing sugar instead of caster sugar because I honestly thought that was what I had to use. Once the ginger mixture was ready, I carefully tipped it out onto a wire rack and removed the parchment paper to let it cool. Once it was cool enough, I spread the icing mixture on top.

The verdict…

In all the excitement of the class getting the ginger squares, I actually forgot to take a photo of them so that’s why I said it was a case of now you see them, now you don’t. However, I did save myself one and put it in the fridge of my office so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow again to take a photo seeing as I didn’t even get the time to enjoy it this afternoon. However, the overall rating was 9 marks out of 10 which I was very pleased with. There was only one student who wasn’t too fussed on the icing part as he thought it was extremely sweet. Personally, I thought these squares were extremely nice and something different. I made the recipe last night so Dear Husband got his fair share – two large squares, in fact and he loved them. He also scored them a very impressive 9 marks.

Overall, the recipe was extremely easy to make – just remember to add caster sugar as opposed to icing sugar unlike me. I will most certainly make this recipe again and will use the correct frosting next time to see the difference. So, onto The List this recipe goes and I definitely think this is one that you should try yourself…

1 comment:

  1. I love "bung in in the food processor" recipes so I will have to try this one

    ReplyDelete