Wednesday 24 October 2012

Day 164: Pear and blue cheese salad


Salads, schmalads. Right?! Some people automatically think that just because I’m vegetarian that the only food I eat and love are salads. Wrong. I’m telling you, as someone who loves carbs and need them to fuel a busy lifestyle, a salad just doesn’t cut it for me. If I do have a salad, well, it’s usually only as a starter or a side to another dish like lasagne or with another side of creamed potatoes. Yum. Therefore, when I come across a salad with a difference and one as yummy as Pear and blue cheese salad, then I’m forced to reassess my opinion of them. Here’s how I made it…

I began by making the dressing which consisted of olive oil, cider vinegar, runny honey, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. I mixed it all and then tossed in salad leaves, sliced pears and cubed blue cheese. I finished off the salad by sprinkling roughly chopped pecan nuts and served.

The verdict…

An amazing 8 marks out of 10 from Dear Husband. Whoa! Ok, I must admit to something. Bear with me as I make a generalised statement and it is only my opinion but, one of the many things I’ve learned in doing this Challenge is that, if you’re going to give a man a salad and expect him to actually like it, then there has to be meat in it! Therefore, for Dear Husband’s salad, I topped it with slices of prosciutto ham. Yes, that good old food item which has become a staple in my fridge. He said it was ‘beautiful’ and ‘different’. I whole-heartedly agreed and also awarded it 8 marks out of 10. If you don't like blue cheese though, you could use cheddar I guess.

When will I make this again? Definitely as a starter if I’m having people over for dinner; definitely on a summer’s day; definitely for a lunch. I’d say that this recipe is one of my favourite recipes so far on this Challenge and I can’t wait to make this again!

2 comments:

  1. Made vii, one myself ..a bit hit .I use de dressing all the time now

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great dressing, isn't it?! :)

    ReplyDelete