Wednesday 3 October 2012

Day 144: Baked white chocolate vanilla custards


Well, I can now safely say that I can make custard. There was another recipe that I’d never made before up until now. Dear Mother occasionally makes custard and I thought it would be a recipe which was very complicated and labour-intensive so I avoided it. However, now I could make my own version (well, Rachel’s version actually) which was Baked white chocolate vanilla custards.

I began by adding milk and double cream to a saucepan. Once it came up to the boil, I took it off the heat and added in chopped white chocolate and kept stirring it until it melted. In another bowl, I whisked four eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and then whisked in the creamy mixture. Next, it was time to divide it into ramekins. The recipe said to use six but I used four larger ones instead. Then, it said to put the ramekins in a bain-marie (or water bath) which effectively meant that I set them into a large roasting tin and poured about 2cm of boiling water in on top before putting the dish in the oven. I let them cook for 35 minutes instead of 20-25 seeing as I used larger portions and the recipe said they would be ready once an inserted skewer came out clean from the centre of one of them. To finish, I scattered icing sugar on top and topped with a sliced strawberry.

The verdict…

Dear Son actually loved this recipe and when I asked him the verdict, he said “Hmm, Mum, 9 marks out of 10”. I’m not sure he fully understands the significance of the 9 but I do know that he recognises that I’m very happy with 9 scores. Dear Husband's verdict was a very impressive 8 marks out of 10. Now, that was a real surprise to me. I suppose there's a bit of nostalgia about custard that makes most people gravitate towards it.
 
Overall, for the sheer simplicity of a modern slant on a traditional recipe, I am putting this one on The List. I can see myself making it after Sunday dinner on a winter’s day. Although Dear Mother always makes her custard in a saucepan, I must say that this baked version is maybe easier to keep an eye on because you don’t have to worry about it burning which is surely what would happen if I made the custard the way she does. The best part is though, I think I am well and truly in the sisterhood of Irish mammies now that I can make custard. Catch you all tomorrow…    

No comments:

Post a Comment