Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 151: Beetroot gazpacho


I never expected a recipe from the cook book to give me such a laugh as much as the Beetroot gazpacho did; If only I had captured Dear Husband’s reaction as a video then you too could have shared in the entertainment! Unfortunately, you’ll just have to bear with my attempts to describe it. I think I can only liken his reaction to that if I had gone out to the nearest shuck and lifted a bowl of its contents (rubbish and all) and served it to him. For those of you unfamiliar with what a shuck is, it’s a small stream which runs alongside a road. Aw, but his face was priceless! I’d never heard of gazpacho until this Challenge which, according to the cook book, is a cold soup which is commonly consumed in Spain, North Africa and the Mediterranean. Well, now that you know Dear Husband’s reaction, I better tell you what was in this concoction…

In a processor, I added the following vegetables – cherry tomatoes, garlic, a red pepper, scallions and raw beetroot before whizzing them for 3 minutes. I then squished the mixture through a sieve into a bowl until there was nothing but pulp left. I then stirred in olive oil, sherry vinegar and salt and pepper. No need to cook, I simply served it up with fresh bread.

The verdict…

I’m not joking when I tell you that Dear Husband’s verdict was (and I quote!)…"Minus a thousand! Eugh!!!". That gave me such a laugh. There I was sat at the kitchen table with my back to Dear Husband as he stood at the kitchen counter full of enthusiasm for yet another new recipe. I couldn’t help but laugh into myself in anticipation of his reaction. Not that my reaction was much better. Like a lot of people, I go through phases of juicing vegetables and this concoction reminded me very much of one of them. However, I most definitely would probably make ten other ‘soups’ before making this one. I might not need to state this but I will anyway – I will most certainly not be making this recipe again. I did score it two marks though – one for the fact that there was no cooking involved and another mark for using lots of fresh vegetables. However, it’s a recipe that just isn’t for us but, if you want to make a recipe that will give you a laugh at the reactions of your nearest and dearest, then this is most certainly a recipe that has to be made for entertainment purposes alone…

No comments:

Post a Comment