Saturday 11 August 2012

Day 93: Brown scones with treacle and sesame seeds


I must admit that when it comes to scones, the pecking order goes something like this…plain white scone, fruit scone, treacle scone, brown scone. You see, my experience of brown/wholemeal scones hasn’t been great. I only eat them when they’re the only ones left if I’m having tea in a café or the like. I definitely don’t buy the ones that you can get in shops because, to be honest, when I lift them, I feel like bouncing them off a wall à-la-handball style to see how far they’d go. And I know, wholemeal everything is better than the white version but, when I eat wholemeal scones, I need a tonne of butter and a heap of jam otherwise I end up chewing and chewing and chewing. A tonne of tea is also needed. Therefore, I usually avoid them. Not today though as Brown scones with treacle and sesame seeds were next on my to-do list…

Using a large bowl, I added wholemeal flour, plain four and salt before sifting in the bicarbonate of soda and stirring in the sesame seeds. In another bowl, I whisked an egg and added buttermilk and treacle. I mixed them together and then added most of the liquid into the dry ingredients. According to Rachel’s instructions, I used one hand in a claw grasp to bring all the ingredients together. I then turned the dough onto a lightly floured board and brought it together into a ball before flattening it with a rolling pin. I cut the dough into 12 squares, placed them on a floured baking tray, sprinkled with sesame seeds and popped them into the oven for 15 minutes.

The verdict…

I just love scones on a weekend morning and these were, by far, the nicest wholemeal scones I’ve ever tasted – 7 marks out of 10. Dear Husband described them as being ‘scrumptious’ and gave them 8 marks out of 10. Have they made The List? Yes, I promise to make them again. Even better, Baby Daughter ate half of a scone but, unfortunately, Dear Son wouldn’t and wanted ‘toast folded over’ which just means that once the slice is buttered, he wants me to fold it in half and cut it in two.

Overall, a very simple and quick recipe. I now have yet another use for the latex gloves as  I used one to bring the mixture together which saved me time scraping all the sticky dough off my hands! Definitely, a good start to the day after some porridge and I will surely have to bring in a batch of these to work once the holidays are over…

No comments:

Post a Comment