Friday 31 August 2012

Day 113: Perfect mushrooms on toast


Suspicious behaviour on Dear Husband’s part is when I’m making food and he suddenly says “Oh, just give me a wee bit. I’m not that hungry”. To me that means one of two things: (a) he had a secret big feed when he was away earlier that day, or (b) he doesn’t like what I’m making. In fairness, I had made him Chicken tika masala for dinner so when I started on a supper at about 9 o’clock, I thought the most probable cause was that maybe, just maybe, he actually did have enough to eat at dinner time. However, once again, I was wrong but we’ll get back to that later. For now, I’ll tell you what I made…

It was a dish called Perfect mushrooms on toast. I started off my slicing mushrooms. I only had button mushrooms in the fridge so I used them but the regular sized ones are probably the ones that are really meant to be used in the recipe. In a frying pan, I added butter and, once it foamed up, I added garlic and chopped anchovies. I didn’t realise until tonight that anchovies actually dissolve when fried. When looking at them, I was thinking how absolutely unappetising they are but, then again, I’m vegetarian so it’s no wonder and thankfully I don’t have to endure eating them.

Once the anchovies had dissolved and the garlic was golden, I added the mushrooms and let them fry on a medium-low heat for over 10 minutes. I also added fresh thyme. I then popped a few slices of freshly cut bread in the toaster and added cream to the mushrooms. Once it came up to a bubble, I let it cook on for another minute or two and then served them on top of the buttered slices of toast.

The verdict…

It turns out that Dear Husband’s “Oh, I’m that not hungry” was actually code for “that smells rotten and how in under a God am I going to eat that stuff?!”. He said he was going to have ‘just one slice’ but low and behold, the next thing I saw was that all three slices had disappeared. I immediately knew I had done well with this one. The verdict was 8 marks out of 10. He said that the toast tasted better than it smelled and he would definitely eat the stuff again; therefore, it’s made The List.

Overall, the recipe was extremely simple to make and very quick. A very good score means that it will feature in my kitchen again so not a bad start to the weekend. Let’s hope that I do as well with the rest of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment