Monday 6 August 2012

Day 88: Chocolate mousse


Well, a bank holiday Monday is as good a day as any to have the excuse for dessert and it's going to be a while until the next one so I decided on Chocolate mousse.

I started off by bringing double cream up to the boil before adding finely chopped dark chocolate. I kept stirring the chocolate until it had fully melted and then whisked in two egg yolks. While that was cooling slightly, I whisked up the two egg whites and then folded them in to the chocolate mixture. Once everything came together, I poured the mixture into four small glasses and let them chill in the fridge for two hours. Once it had chilled enough, I scattered icing sugar over the top and added a few fresh raspberries.

The verdict…

Dear Husband scored the dessert 9 marks out of 10 which was extremely impressive. Other than the time needed to chill the mousse, the recipe was extremely quick and without fuss which is the kind of recipe I like – especially when it comes to dessert. The mousse is definitely something that would be an excellent choice if you’re having  friends over for dinner as it can be easily made well in advance so you don’t have to panic and cook another course while your dinner guests are there. Personally though, I’m not a fan of mousse so if I was making this for friends, I would be sure to have another dessert on the menu too. Also, as you know, meringues are dodgy territory to me so any recipe that has a meringue mixture in it, I’m sceptical about my ability to master it and, therefore, they will never be a feature of any meal I make! Thankfully though, I didn’t drop the ball on this one so kudos to me! :)

P.S. Just thought I'd also mention that Rachel's new book Cake is now available to pre-order on Amazon for anyone who is interested!

2 comments:

  1. I made this too and it was a big hit. My Husband who is not into chocolate deserts loved it. My Son said it was better than M&S's. Which is very high praise from the walking bin of deserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Great that others are enjoying the recipe too and thanks for leaving your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete