Saturday 18 August 2012

Day 100: Caulifower soup


A major milestone in the life of this Challenge and blog as today marked Day 100! I can’t believe that it’s been 100 days already and I can’t believe that I’ve managed to make it this far and still going. At this stage, I actually have over one hundred recipes done but still a bit to go yet to complete every single one of the 180 recipes. Nonetheless, a HUGE Thank You to each and every one of you for reading. Without your interest, there wouldn’t be much point to this blog and I hope you continue to enjoy the remainder of it. On this special day, it may not qualify as a 3-course meal but I decided to make a recipe for lunch - just for me that I would like so I decided on Cauliflower soup.

I started off my sautéing diced onion and sliced leeks in butter for 6 minutes. I then added florets of cauliflower which I let cook for 5 minutes before seasoning and adding vegetable stock. Once it came up to the boil, I let it simmer for 5 minutes before giving it a whizz in the blender. I served it up with a dollop of crème fraiche and finely sliced scallion. The recipe said to use chives but a scallion leaf was the nearest thing I had.

The verdict…

I really loved this soup and gave it 8 marks out of 10. So simple to make and all the ingredients worked so well together. I ate it with fresh soft white bread rolls but, I imagine on a winter’s day, this soup would be gorgeous with some lovely boiled potatoes. Overall, an extremely simple and quick recipe to make. Better still, I was able to freeze three additional portions of it. As we near the end of the holidays and the return to work, I have started on my usual quest of batch freezing. It's what gets me through the week following the early starts and long days. Also, it’s great to get a recipe that features something as nice as cauliflower which I think is one of my most favourite vegetables. I agree wholeheartedly with Rachel, cauliflower is definitely an under appreciated vegetable but not in my house...

4 comments:

  1. Well done Lynda! Soup looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe you have done 100 days - that's fantastic! Enjoying reading about your daily experiments!!

    PS made the Fattoush again today for a family gathering and it was liked by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine. Thanks very much! I feel like making Fattoush very soon again! :)

      Delete