Saturday 4 August 2012

Day 86: Spiced apples and pears


I always associate the smell of cinnamon with Christmas or, at the very least, winter. Any time I cook with it, it leaves such a lovely aroma wafting around the house which is the kind of cooking smell I don’t mind leaving the kitchen unlike some other foods. For a dessert tonight, I made Spiced apples and pears.

I started off by peeling, coring and slicing an eating apple and a pear. I added them into a frying pan which had butter melting in it. After 5 minutes of flipping the apples occasionally, I added ground cinnamon, soft light brown sugar and a pinch of salt. The only thing left to do was add in some fresh cream and water and let it bubble for 30 seconds.

The verdict…

Dear Husband scored it 6 marks out of 10. I scored it 6 also but felt that the inclusion of toasted pecan nuts would have brought it up to an 8. I’d say the spiced apples and pears are just as nice with yoghurt as they are ice-cream. There was a lovely contrast in the flavours between the tanginess of the fruit and sweetness of the brown sugar. Dear Husband went on to say that although he gave the dish 6 marks, he probably wouldn’t order a dessert like it in a restaurant. I would though – if it was Christmas time!

Overall, it was an extremely easy and quick recipe to make. I will definitely make it again – albeit at Christmas or a cold Sunday evening in the middle of winter. Only, next time, I will definitely add in some toasted pecans to give the dessert a bit of crunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment