Tuesday 14 August 2012

Day 96: Tarragon chicken


Talk about the easiest recipe – ever! I wanted something quick to make and quick this Tarragon chicken was. The recipe said 1 minute preparation time and it was very near it for me. All I had to do was melt butter on a high heat in a frying pan, add whole breast of chicken, season and let each one fry for 3 minutes on each side. After 6 minutes, I then added chicken stock, crème fraiche and tarragon. Once it came up to the boil, I let it simmer. The recipe said to let it simmer for 8 minutes or until the sauce thickened; however, at the 8-minute mark, the sauce was still very thin so I let it simmer on for about another 4 minutes. By that time, I thought that if I left the chicken cooking any longer, it would be over done so I served it up.

The verdict…

Dear Husband gave it 6 marks out of 10. His synopsis was that the chicken was a bit on the dry side and the sauce was more like soup. I’m not 100 per cent sure where I went wrong. I’m guessing that I should have just taken the chicken off at exactly the 8-minute mark regardless of how thin the sauce was. Also, I’d probably use less chicken stock than I did and possibly add a small bit of cream next time. However, according to Dear Husband, the recipe hasn’t made The List although I loved it for how quick and easy it was. I still think I would do a better job of it next time so I’m not going to write it off yet even if Dear Husband has. For a recipe that was so quick and easy to prepare, I definitely think it’s worth a second chance…

2 comments:

  1. hi! i love this recipe i add a bit of flour and more cremefaice and really let it cook down until the sauce goes quite gloopy. I use chicken thigh meat cut into pieces (rather than one whole piece) which is tastier and doesnt dry out with extra cooking time. dont add salt though as the super reduced down stock gets salty enough on its own. hope this helps, everyone i kow who has tried it has asked for the recipe and added to their lists so try it again :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicola. Thanks for posting a message. I must remember your pointers the next time I make this and now that it's coming into the summer, I'll be able to get my hands on some fresh tarragon! xo

    ReplyDelete