Tuesday 28 August 2012

Day 110: Thai-flavoured fish with fried kale and baby boiled potatoes


I hadn’t made a fish dish in a while and the habit of making one every Friday seems to have disappeared lately so tonight I decided on Thai-flavoured fish with fried kale and baby potatoes. Do you ever go through a phase of always making something and then, for no particular reason, you just stop?! Then, you think “Oh, I haven’t made that in ages!”. Well, Donegal Catch was a staple in our house for a long time a few years ago and then I just got out of the habit of making it. I’m not really sure why. Maybe it was because I started to find my feet in the kitchen but most likely I probably gave Dear Husband a ‘wild tear’ of it so he got fed-up. Too much of a good thing and all that. Either way, it might re-emerge in the future again as a regular favourite. For tonight though, he was going to have something a little bit different.

In Rachel’s cookbook, there are three recipes for Fish en papillote and I had made the other two a while back (Salmon with mascarpone and peas and then Salmon with tomato and basil) so I just had the third one to make. I started off by grating fresh root ginger into a bowl and then added soy sauce, lemon juice and soft light brown sugar. Next, I chopped two scallions and added them in before giving them a swirl. The recipe said to add the piece of cod and let it marinate for 15 minutes so while that was doing that, I stuck on some baby boiled potatoes to cook. After the 15 minutes were up, I set the cod onto a piece of parchment paper, poured over the marinade, added a small bit of black pepper and folded it up into a parcel. Into the oven it went for 12 minutes. At about the 7-minute mark, I took a large frying pan, added olive oil and chopped kale and seasoned it to fry for about 5 minutes until it had started to brown slightly. Then, I served up the lot.
The verdict…

I wasn’t sure how this dish was going to go at all but Dear Husband awarded it a very impressive 9 marks out of 10. I was impressed myself at how easy it was to make and, like so many other recipes in the cookbook, I would never have put this one together without its influence. It was extremely easy and quick to make. From my quick research, I discovered that cod is also an excellent source of protein, omega-3 fats and nutrients such as potassium, selenium, phosphorus and B vitamins so if you needed six reasons to eat it, there you are!

Unsurprisingly, this recipe has made The List and, just in case you thought your mammy was only making it up, fish is definitely ‘brain food’ and there’s lots of research out there to prove it. So, next time you’re wondering what to make for dinner, bypass the sausages, bacon or steak and head to the fish counter instead. Your brain will thank you for it…

No comments:

Post a Comment