Wednesday 22 August 2012

Day 104: Spiced prawns, tomatoes and chickpeas


I was glad of yet another different dish to make this evening when I made Spiced prawns, tomatoes and chickpeas. Instead of the good old reliable staple of frozen prawns which I always have in stock, I bought raw Honduran prawns especially for this recipe and here’s what I did…

I started off by adding olive oil to a saucepan on a high heat and then tipped in sliced onion, chopped chilli, crushed garlic and smoked paprika. I added seasoning and let it all sauté for 5 minutes. I kept stirring for fear it would burn and then added a can of tomatoes, a can of chickpeas and 100ml of water. Once it came up to the boil, I let it simmer for 10 minutes and then added the fresh prawns. They simmered for about 3-4 minutes and then I added in freshly chopped coriander and lime juice. I served the spiced prawns with boiled rice and garnished with coriander.


The verdict...

Dear Husband said he never tasted anything like this dish before but the nearest thing he resembled it to was a vegetarian curry with prawns (!). I can safely say that he is over his aversion to prawns as the dish scored an amazing 9 marks out of 10! Seriously surprised by this one! It was a very easy recipe to make and relatively quick. I asked Dear Husband when did he think would be a good time to eat this dish and he said for lunch. That safely means that the recipe has made The List. Another good thing about it is that all the ingredients were straightforward in terms of what I needed and how they were prepared and all of them can be found easily in your local supermarket.

So, there you go. A new week off to a good start and hopefully the remainder will prove as promising in the kitchen…

No comments:

Post a Comment