Sunday 26 August 2012

Day 108: Quick banana ice-cream


It’s with a warm heart that I write tonight’s post. What a fantastic game we had in Croker today! I just can’t believe that we are through to the All-Ireland. I was literally on the edge of my seat (and jumping off it too, of course!). However, all the excitement got too much for poor wee Dear Son and he actually managed to fall asleep in Croke Park amidst roaring crowds for the last 20 minutes! For years to come, I will be reminding him of that.
 
So, Donegal in an All-Ireland final. Little did I know that day in Croke Park twenty years ago that I’d be back for a Donegal semi-final in 2012 with my 3-year-old son. Honestly, if someone were to tell you all the things that would happen in your life over a period of 20 years, you probably wouldn’t believe it. But there I was with my Dear Son and his aunty and our cousins, uncles, neighbours etc. And I must say too that, collectively, the Donegal supporters did their fair bit of shouting today and it was such a brilliant atmosphere. But, alas, I’m home now and it’s back to the Challenge…

I must admit that there are times when the Challenge and blog become a bit of a logistical nightmare. This is especially true if I have to leave the country or county; however, strangely enough, things seem a lot more straightforward when I leave the country as opposed to the county and problems usually arise around broadband access. Well, this weekend was one of those occasions where my logistical planning skills were put to the test once again. I made the salad yesterday for yesterday's post but also made the Quick banana ice-cream then for today’s post. Dear Husband was given simple instructions – eat some of the banana ice-cream that’s in the fridge but was also told not to forget to take a picture of it. Did he do it?! Well, he did remember to eat the banana ice-cream but just didn’t remember to take a photo. Therefore, I’ll have to do that tomorrow. The last thing I wanted to do tonight when I got home at 11:30pm was to start into styling banana ice-cream for a decent photo. You see, I am normal and human too and I have those days just like everybody else were not everything goes to plan.

So, getting back to the Quick banana ice-cream, it was one of the quickest and easiest recipes that I’ve made so far. All I had to do was put a freezer-proof dish into the freezer for 5 minutes while I got on with the ice-cream which simply involved chucking softened chocolate ice-cream and a sliced banana into a MagiMix and give it a swirl. Once mixed, I poured it into the frozen container and back into the freezer it went until this evening. I also left the toasted hazelnuts in a container on the worktop for Dear Husband and the maple syrup which he did remember to add.

The verdict…

He gave the ice-cream 9 marks out of 10. He loves chocolate ice-cream and he said the inclusion of the banana was something different. Together with the nuts and maple syrup, he had a really nice dessert. He said he would love to have it again so it’s made The List. As I said, it was one of the quickest and easiest recipes to make. I was glad to have the use of a MagiMix as although it would still be simple to make without one, it was a lot easier rather than doing it by hand. It’s also a recipe which surely gets a bonus point for using fresh fruit. I’m going to try the banana ice-cream myself tomorrow so I’ll give an update then on it and post the photo. There’s just one more thing I’d like to say before I bid you goodnight…

Sam is for the Hills!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment