Friday 17 August 2012

Day 99: Apple fool and shortbread biscuits


How great is it when you can make your own biscuits?! Pretty good but I'm biased as that’s from someone who loves biscuits. I really do love a biscuit (or two!) after my dinner so next on the Challenge list was Apple fool and Shortbread biscuits.

I started off by making the Shortbread biscuits which was extremely straightforward. Firstly, I had to sieve flour into a bowl and then rub softened butter in until it resembled breadcrumbs. Next, I added caster sugar and brought the mixture together. I tumbled the dough onto a lightly floured board and rolled it to flatten it. The recipe said to have the dough 5mm thick but mine was probably slightly thicker. Dear Son and I then cut the dough using a variety of star, heart and circular cutters which he thoroughly enjoyed.  Into the oven the biscuits went for about 10 minutes until they were a pale golden colour. Once ready, I let them cool on a wire rack and got on with the next part.

Like the biscuits, the Apple fool was very straightforward. I peeled and diced two cooking apples, added caster sugar and some water into a saucepan and let them simmer for 10 minutes. I stirred the apples as they cooked to puree them and then let the apples cool in a bowl. It was time then to whip up some double cream and once the apple puree was cool, I folded it into the cream. I served up the lot as follows with a small dusting of icing sugar over the biscuits…
The verdict…

Dear Husband awarded the biscuits 10 marks out of 10 and 8 marks for the apple fool. I had given the two recipes the same marks of 10 and 8. Dear Son kept begging me for "one more biscuit, Mum. Pretty please, kind mummy!". I must say though, I really loved the biscuits and they were so incredibly easy to make. The apply fool was also so simple to make but, when I make it again, I’m going to mush up the apples that little bit more so that mine end up looking more like the picture in Rachel’s cookbook rather than what mine resembled – pale scrambled eggs!

Overall, these two recipes have made The List because of how simple, quick and delicious both are. I have also decided to make the biscuits at least fortnightly so that I have a regular stash of these goodies which I will obviously have to hide in the secret hiding place in my kitchen. And Dear Husband, if you are reading this - no, I’m not going to tell you where that is… :)

2 comments:

  1. NICE for giving a chance to share ideas for your comuty i really thanks for that great post.
    safariors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a sweet tutorial - all this time later, I've found it and love the end result. I appreciate the time you spent sharing your skills.
    stylent

    ReplyDelete