Thursday 2 August 2012

Day 84: Speedy chicken soup


When it comes to soups, it’s hard to go wrong; however, I did go wrong with tonight’s recipe as I made Speedy chicken noodle soup.

I have said before in this Challenge that very often, it takes me longer than the stated preparation time that’s on the recipe. I knew tonight’s recipe would be no different. Five minutes’ preparation it said in the cookbook so I actually timed myself and what time did it take me? Over 15 minutes to prepare absolutely everything before starting to cook.

I started off by soaking rice noodles in boiling water. The recipe said to use medium rice noodles but all I had was the fine ones. They really do make such a mess and my worktop was (as we say in Donegal) ‘cleestered’ in rice noodles as they broke up all over the place. While they were soaking, I got on with the soup part and added chicken stock, sliced ginger and crushed garlic to a saucepan. I then brought it up to the boil, added slice chicken to cook for 2 minutes and finished by adding lime juice, nam pla, chopped scallion and coriander. I drained the noodles before putting them in a bowl and adding the soup mixture on top.

The verdict…

A very low 1 mark out of 10 according to Dear Husband; the one mark being for my effort alone. It’s safe to say that he really didn’t like it and I most definitely won’t be making this recipe again. It was such a disappointment though as it looked lovely in the bowl. Overall, the recipe was not a success and although I cook with chicken all the time, this is one chicken recipe that won’t be appearing on The List.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was just me. I made this for my son who will eat anything with chicken in at and I was asked not to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it wasn't just my cooking! lol!

    ReplyDelete