Monday 14 May 2012

Day 4 was always going to be interesting as this was going to be the first day of my challenge when I was going to be under the usual weekday pressure of rushing home from work to make a dinner and, in the meantime, put the baby to bed who is teething and who now also doesn't want to go to bed on her own seeing as staying up is so much better fun. Also, as with a lot of mothers in the same position, doing this while trying to entertain baby's older sibling. Fortunately, Dear Son decided to use onions again for entertainment but, this time, whack them about the kitchen with his hurl-og. Anyway, back to the cooking and it was the turn of two recipes this evening - Salmon with Capers and Dill and Potato and Bacon Gratin.







The gratin was simple to make but took 1.5 hours so don't be in a hurry for this one. I think I slightly over cooked the topping though but it’s almost difficult not to when cheese is added. I always like potato dishes that are made in an oven as there's no worry of boiling them dry and potatoes, for the staple food they are in the Irish diet, are still relatively easy to get totally wrong. Also, I always think it's a measure of a good restaurant as to how well they do their potatoes. If they can't get the basics right, then that's a no-no in my book. I must say that Harry's in Bridgend, Quay West, Fitzroys & The Exchange in Derry always have the perfect potatoes.



So, the salmon had butter, capers and freshly chopped dill and this dish was very easy to make – it literally took 10 minutes. I had to use those weird wee things again – capers. They are strange and it was only my second time cooking with them. I still can’t make my mind up about them. 

The verdict...

Dear Husband loved the dinner! Also, I made a separate vegetarian version of the potato gratin with veg on the side for me and I must say – I love these potatoes! But, then again, I knew that anyway. Add in cream and cheese and it’s the ultimate comfort food after a busy day at work.

To conclude, Dear Husband gave the dinner 8.5 out of ten and Dear Son ate most of his which is a serious accomplishment. I think I’ll give my potatoes 9 out of 10. I could seriously eat these every evening if they didn’t take so long to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment