Sunday 13 May 2012

Day 3
Breakfast in our house every Sunday is always a cooked breakfast and today, on Day 3, I deviated from the usual Chorizo Baked Eggs to make Heuvos rancheros which is pronouced WEH-vohs-ran-"CHAIR"-ohs and the only reason I know that is because having learned French at school rather than Spanish, I Googled it. If you look at the picture on page 27 of the cookbook, it reminded me of something I'd seen eaten for breakfast in an old cowboy film.

The three main ingredients were onions, tomatoes and eggs. Unfortunately, my 3-year-old decided to use the only two red onions I had as footballs around the kitchen floor so I used white onions instead and every time I cut an onion chef-style, it reminds me of my cousin Tina as she is one of the few people I have ever seen cut onions chef-style. Indeed, it's something that I have only started to master myself within the last year. The red pepper had to be cut into 1cm dice which is the size of the wee 1cm wooden blocks we used to have in primary school and definitely the simplest way to cut a pepper is to cut the four walls straight down. I also had the pleasure of using eggs from my Dad's chickens:) A plus of the recipe is that it is from the Store Cupboard section of the cookbook so most of the ingredients you would already have in the house anyway.

The end result was this...



The verdict...

Dear Husband gave them 7 out of 10. I gave them 5 out of 10 but I'm not an egg lover anyway. It was a no-go for the 3-year-old other than two mouthfuls of the egg bit.

On another note, if there is only one recipe of Rachel Allen's that you learn in your life, it has to be the Chorizo Baked Eggs from her cookbook Rachel's Food for Living (page 104). As I said before, I don't consider myself a good cook - just good at following recipes - and friends and family come to my house especially if they know I'm cooking Chorizo Baked Eggs for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment