Thursday 24 May 2012

Day 14

Something somewhere along the line went wrong on Day 14 when I made Red lentil soup but more about that shortly. First of all, let’s get down to the recipe…


I fried chopped onion and garlic in rapeseed oil and then stirred in a chopped tomato, chilli and ginger before adding red lentils and vegetable stock. Once it came up to the boil, I simmered it for about 20 minutes, added chopped parsley and then whizzed it with a hand blender. Lastly, I finished it off with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice and that was the recipe.



I looked forward to making this recipe as it was vegetarian and had red lentils in it which are an excellent source of protein and that’s a plus for me. The meal really was easy to make so what went wrong….?


Maybe I didn’t put enough chilli in it?! Maybe I didn’t put enough parsley in it as I love parsley?! Maybe it was the fact that I didn’t use homemade vegetable stock and bought the ready-made pouches in M&S?! Or maybe it was because I had it at 4 o’clock in the day after having already had a substantial lunch?! I really just don’t know. What I do know though is that I won’t be making this one in a hurry again. It was filling but bland. I really do think I should’ve put an extra half a chilli in it and more parsley and, sure, another lock of salt and everything tastes well. I could only imagine the poor score I’d have gotten had Dear Husband eaten this recipe. I’m sure I’d now be into minus numbers out of 10! Thankfully, Dear Husband had left-overs from my previous endeavours this week so that was him taken care of. Oh but his face would have been a picture! Lol! Speaking of pictures, just take a look at it again. I won't say what I think it looks like but no amount of fancy photography was going to help this one look appetising!


It pains me to say this but I would give myself 2 out of 10 with this soup. One of the most disappointing recipes I have ever made. Ever. But on the plus side, at least I didn’t make a lot of it to batch freeze or I would surely be in the process of feeding it to the composter. I’m sure the soup will be right at home there...

No comments:

Post a Comment