Wednesday 25 July 2012

Day 76: Toffee peanut sundaes


I’ll be honest, I was extremely happy that today’s featuring recipe only took 5 minutes to prepare and 5 minutes to cook. Now, who could complain about that? Certainly not someone who hadn’t cooked for a full week. Dear Husband nicely asked if he could have chicken tika massala for dinner so I obliged and then made Toffee peanut sundaes for dessert.

I made the toffee sauce first which consisted of five ingredients – golden syrup, soft light brown sugar, caster sugar, vanilla extract and double cream. All I had to do was put everything in a saucepan, bring it up the boil and stir it constantly for 5 minutes until all the sugars had dissolved and the sauce had thickened. I then poured it into a jug to cool slightly before I used it in the sundaes.

To make the sundaes, I used a mixture of sundae glasses and glass bowls as there were three to make for Dear Husband and his two friends. I put one scoop of vanilla ice-cream in a sundae glass, followed by chopped peanuts, another scoop of ice-cream followed by more nuts and toffee sauce. The ones that I made in the glass bowls, I just put in 3 scoops of ice-cream followed by toffee sauce and sprinkled the peanuts over the lot.

The verdict…

Three resounding 10 out 10s! Dear Husband said it was one of the nicest desserts he’d ever had.  Now, that was surprising because when he asked what was going to be in the dessert and I told him about the salted peanuts, he said something along the lines of “Is that not a bit weird for a dessert?!”. However, I promptly told him that if Rachel has it in her cookbook and is an extremely famous chef known for being a brilliant chef, then he shouldn’t question the recipe. God forbid that anyone should question the workings of the Lady Herself! That was good because he actually admitted afterwards that Rachel had put together an amazing dessert for something that is really so simple.

Without a doubt, I will most definitely make this recipe again and, I totally agree with Rachel, this is the kind of recipe to keep some in the fridge and, even better, it keeps for months. However, there is no way that the toffee sauce could possibly stay in our fridge. To be honest, if it makes to Monday of next week, it will be miracle…

No comments:

Post a Comment