Friday 6 July 2012

Day 57: Simple lentils


I know you won’t believe this but this dish was extremely tasty! I’m pretty sure that most people’s diets could be that wee bit healthier and so, if you are looking for a way of achieving exactly that, try this recipe. As today, it was the turn of Simple lentils and the dish lived up to its name. A very simple yet very tasty dish.   

To start off, I put Puy lentils in a saucepan with an onion (halved), a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. I added in 1 litre of water, brought it up to the boil and simmered for 25 minutes. After that, I drained them and took out the rosemary and bay leaf before adding in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The photo below actually compliments them more than what they looked life in reality because they resemble tiny chocolate drops in the photo and resemble something else in reality!

The verdict…

I made these for lunch (for me!) and Baby Daughter actually ate them too! I’ve given the recipe 7 marks out of 10. At the end of the cooking process, I actually added in slightly more balsamic vinegar than what the recipe said so I can well and truly say that my aversion to balsamic vinegar (which I had during second pregnancy) is well and truly over and I’m back loving it again! And just in case you’re wondering about the nutritional value of lentils – they are an excellent source of protein, folate, Vitamin B and are one of the healthiest foods you can make. They can also be eaten with meat. That said, I just knew that Dear Husband wouldn't like them so I'm guessing that if you're a serious meat eater, you may not like them. However, just keep thinking about how healthy they are (and tasty) so, go on, give them a try at least once! You will be pleasantly surprised!

2 comments:

  1. I cook a lot with lentils. It is amazing how something so simple can taste so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! Definitely under-rated!

      Delete