Saturday 28 July 2012

Day 79: Honey mustard pork chops and broccoli and oyster sauce


I’ve never gotten a zero (in anything) before – until this evening that is. I made Honey mustard pork chops and broccoli and oyster sauce. To be precise, the pork chops got 10 out of 10 but the broccoli and oyster sauce got zero points! Here’s what happened…

For the Honey mustard pork chops, I put two tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. I then added the seasoned chops and fried them for about ten minutes. While they were cooking, I mixed runny honey, cream and Dijon mustard in a bowl. When the chops were ready, I transferred them to a hot plate and then added the honey mixture to the frying pan. Once it came up to a bubble, I turned down the heat and let it reduce for just under a minute whilst using a wooden spoon to scrape the sticky pork bits off the bottom of the pan. I added salt and pepper and then poured the mixture over the chops.


Whilst the pork chops were cooking, I then moved on to making the broccoli and oyster sauce. I put a frying pan on a medium heat, added rapeseed oil and added sliced garlic and broccoli. After 3 minutes, I added 100ml of water, covered with a lid and cooked for another 3 minutes. Once it was tender, I stirred in oyster and soy sauces.




The verdict…

Overall, both recipes were easy to prepare and cook and quick. As I mentioned earlier, the pork chops went down well – full marks. Dear Husband absolutely loved the meat and the sauce and, therefore, they have made The List. However, he said that the broccoli and oyster sauce was (and I quote) “disgusting!”. He went on to say that every time he thought of the broccoli and oyster sauce, he felt sick and that the smell of it alone reminded him of an absolutely disgusting ashtray. That’s a totally gross thought in itself. Luckily, I had dessert on standby to try and get him over his experience of the oyster broccoli and, as we’ve learned recently, Rachel’s homemade toffee sauce will most certainly sweeten the taste buds.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I also cooked the chops with honey mustard sauce & was a big hit with my hubby last night.I only put small amount of sauce over chops in case he did not like sauce but asked for more & said was great so will be cooking this again

    ReplyDelete