Monday 2 July 2012

Day 53: Chicken and bacon pilaf


For some reason, Dear Son absolutely loves bacon and especially the wee lardons and, every Saturday, he makes a point of putting a packet of them into the trolley all by himself. So, in making Chicken and bacon pilaf, bacon was required so there was a good chance that Dear Son would like this dish.

The ingredients said to use cooked chicken but I didn’t have any so I cooked sliced breast of chicken very quickly in the pan before moving on to frying the lardons. They actually took me 15 minutes to cook rather than the 6-8 minutes because I probably didn’t have the hob hot enough (I’m still recovering from burning the fried chicken the other night!). Once they were done, I put them to the side. I added a wee bit of butter to the saucepan and fried a finely chopped onion for 6 minutes. I then added basmati rice and chicken stock, brought it to the boil and then simmered for 14 minutes. However, 14 minutes came and went and my basmati rice was still rather soggy instead of fluffy so I cooked it for a further 5 minutes. To finish off the dish, I added in frozen peas, the chicken, the bacon pieces and some freshly ground black pepper.
The verdict…

Dear Husband said it was an extremely tasty dish and gave it 8.5 marks out of 10. Dear Son also ate away at it so I was really pleased. For some reason, I never seem to cook basmati rice properly. As far as I know, basmati rice should be cooked for exactly the amount of time stated but, when I do that, it is never cooked properly so I cook it for longer. Even after 19 minutes, I thought the rice wasn’t as fluffy as it should’ve been so I turned up the heat and kept stirring it. Eventually, the flavours started to stick to the bottom of the pan so I thought I’d count my losses before it was too late and serve up. I used a fork of course to fluff the rice but it definitely wasn’t what I would describe as fluffy. Nevertheless, Dear Husband loved it so I didn’t do a bad job of it.

The final verdict was that Dear Husband actually asked me to make this recipe again and Dear Son reiterated his sentiments by saying “Yes please, Mummy. I love it!” Now there’s a surprise! Now, need I say any more about this recipe after that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment