Tuesday 31 July 2012

Day 82: Chicken with basil mayonnaise on toast


The perfect snack according to the high marks today’s recipe scored. As I made Chicken with basil mayonnaise on toast, I was very thankful to have found a snack recipe that was quick, easy and very tasty.

When I read the recipe and it said to toast the bread, I absolutely had to make the point of buying sourdough bread. There’s something about sourdough bread that I really love and although it’s usually synonymous in our house to have it with chopped tomato and avocado, I knew it would be the perfect bread for the chicken and basil mayonnaise. Now, sourdough bread isn’t the easiest thing to come by where I live so I ended up going further afield to get it. Gone are the days when it possible to go into town to get something like that from the local bakery but, like many independent traders, places like that have been killed off slowly over time. In fact, there used to be a bakery in Buncrana called Lynch’s and they used to do their own wee box of half a dozen buns. The buns were a variety but one of them was made of short crust pastry then chocolate poured into it, covered in a hard green icing and topped with a chocolate chip. Many a row was caused in many a Donegal household over who got the green one and our house was no different with four girls. Ah, those were the days…

Anyway, back to the recipe and to make the basil mayonnaise, I chopped up about 2.5 breast of chicken, added two chopped tomatoes, mayonnaise and 6 tablespoons of freshly chopped basil. I seasoned it, mixed it all together and served it on toasted sourdough bread.

The verdict…

Dear Husband gave it 8 marks out of 10 and his friend (DMB) gave it 10 out of 10. It fitted the job perfectly as I made it at about 4:30pm so it kept Dear Husband going until we went out for dinner at 7:30pm. I always imagined that when I made this recipe, it would probably have been a Sunday night as a supper and it would be perfect as a supper but I now know that it’s perfect during the day also or for a Sunday brunch. It’s certainly something different than a plain old sandwich which is probably what I would normally have made. Also, for convenience, I am now at the stage where I am buying a bag of free-range breasts of chicken as I seem to cook so much chicken in our house. Another great thing is that it uses tomatoes which are in abundance at the minute and so delicious because they are in season. One of my favourite things is a chopped tomato with a bit of salt. So good for you – just as long as long as you don’t overload on the salt though!

Overall, this recipe was extremely quick and easy to prepare. I had the cooked breast of chicken in the fridge from yesterday which was extremely handy as I didn’t have to cook today for this recipe at all so I highly recommend this recipe to you and yours.

2 comments: