Friday 27 July 2012

Day 78: Banoffee mess


In honour of the London Olympics starting tonight (and what a spectacular Opening Ceremony it was), I themed tonight’s recipe on a dessert that is rather British – Eton Mess. To be pedantic, I actually made Banoffee mess.

This was an extremely easy recipe to make. I was able to use the remainder of the toffee sauce from the other night so that made the preparation time even shorter. If you’ve followed this blog from its inception, you’ll know that me and meringues don’t mix – as in, I can’t cook them so I had the sense to buy a pack from M&S. All I had to do was break up a meringue into a large bowl of whipped cream, add diced banana, fold and transfer to a smaller dessert bowl. I topped it off with a large drizzling of the warmed toffee sauce and that was it.

The verdict…

Dear Husband rated it 8 out of 10 but I’ve noticed that, when it comes to the dessert recipes, it’s rather easy to score highly. However, he said that only for the toffee sauce, it would have been 7 out of 10 and that the toffee sauce recipe is the nicest toffee sauce that he’s ever tasted. I thought the recipe was extremely yummy but, then again, I am a huge fan of meringues and cream anyway. The toffee sauce added another extremely delicious dimension to them though. I’ll definitely make this again and keep the recipe exactly the way it is. Some things are worth keeping the way they are.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel's toffee sauce is something else. I always have some in my fridge. I use it to make Godfather's ( from Bella Italia in Cardiff ) 1 small brownie per person cut up, some fudge pieces, a scoop of vanilla ice cream., whipped cream, plenty of toffee sauce topped with maltesers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds so yummy! I will definitely have to make that dessert! Thanks for posting the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete