Friday 13 July 2012

Day 64: Fruit sundae with strawberry coulis


Greetings from Liverpool! As you know, I’m away this weekend so the following post is about a recipe I made last week. To begin, can I say thank goodness for Wifi! Also, Dear Sisters spotted my pink laptop as I went through security at the airport and I could see them starting to smile. Well, as if I could go without it for a whole weekend!

On a very sunny evening last week, I made a dessert as a treat. It’s not often I make desserts during the week but the weather made the Fruit sundae with strawberry coulis all the more befitting. For the coulis, I used my mini-chopper to blend fresh, hulled strawberries, caster sugar and the juice of half a lemon. I then pushed the puree through a sieve so that I ended up with this beautiful sauce which was the coulis. To put the sundaes together, I put sliced strawberries and diced tinned peaches at the bottom of a sundae glass, followed by a scoop of ice cream and then a few spoons of the coulis. I then repeated it again, added some fresh cream on top and drizzled the coulis over.
The verdict…

Dear Husband gave it 9 marks out 10 and I gave it 9 marks out of 10, also. Dear Son ate some of his ice-cream but none of the fruit. It’s amazing how something so simple could be so delicious. I absolutely loved the coulis and any time I have vanilla ice-cream with fruit, I have to have fresh cream too because I just absolutely love it! Since then, I have eaten vanilla ice-cream, tinned peaches and fresh cream twice on sunny days. That always reminds me of Sunday desserts at home when I was a child. It was either that or fruit cocktail or ice-cream wafers. It's funny how we can get out of the habit of eating something as we get older and forget how good it was! Did it simply go out of fashion or something???! Either way, I'll be sure to make these sundaes again even if Dear Son doesn't like all of his!

Well, I’m just about to head out with all the girls so it’s goodnight from me for now. Tomorrow’s post will be a special feature as I’m going to write up about our dining experience today here in Liverpool so chat to you all tomorrow. Must go see what the other hens have in store for the Dear Hen (hope Dear Sister No.2 likes her new name!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment