Wednesday 11 July 2012

Day 62: Roast vegetable couscous


Even as I ground up the spices for tonight’s recipe, I thought “I’m not going to like this”. However, I was really surprised by it and so was Dear Husband. Tonight, I made Roast vegetable couscous.

I started off by toasting cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds for 1 minute on a high heat. I then ground them up using a pestle and mortar and set to the side. I moved on to dicing up the vegetables for roasting which consisted of an aubergine, a courgette and a red pepper. I then put them in a bowl, poured olive oil over and seasoned them. Onto a baking tray they went and into the oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I got on with slicing two red onions and frying them for 20 minutes until they were completely soft. That gave me time to then make the couscous which only involved pouring vegetable stock over the couscous and letting it sit for 5 minutes. When it was ready, I fluffed it up using a fork. I know, it isn’t exactly a replacement for feta cheese but I just don’t like it so I used cheddar instead! I cubed the cheddar and put it in a bowl with the ground spices and olive oil. To finish everything off, I tipped in the roast vegetables, onions, spicy cubed cheese and chopped parsley into the couscous and seasoned.

The verdict…

I was really surprised at how good this recipe tasted and gave it 7 marks out of 10. Another startling occurrence was that Dear Husband thought it was really tasty and gave it 7 out of 10 also! Now there’s a real surprise for a couscous dish. Overall, it definitely was an easy dish to prepare and a varied change in terms of the preparation so I really enjoyed cooking this one. Also, there was plenty left over and so I have it in a large Tupperware box in the fridge which will be a great lunch for me tomorrow – and without me having to heat it as I’m sure it will be nice cold too like most couscous dishes! Love it for that reason alone! This is the second time this week that I've had a really tasty dish using courgettes as I had an exceptionally lovely lunch the other day based around courgettes but I'm going to keep that as a separate post for the near future so stay tuned. There is no doubt  though – this dish has made The List and I look forward to enjoying it again in the very near future…

2 comments:

  1. I don't get the feta cheese thing at all. I add a couple of cherry tomatoes to the dish when I'm roasting the veg. I also do the red onion in the oven. 1 less pot to wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must remember your two tips the next time I'm making the recipe! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete