Wednesday 19 September 2012

Day 130: Raspberry and coconut pudding


“It’s all a bit mad, Ted!” – that’s what I thought to myself today. If you’re a fan of Father Ted, you’ll know what I’m talking about. So, I was thinking that having been on The Ray D’arcy Show.  I’ve been a huge fan for years. Never did I think in a million years that I’d ever be on it but, there you go, you never know what life has in store. I must admit though, it was a bit nerve-wrecking. Even though I do a job where I stand up and talk in front of people on a daily basis, talking on national radio is a whole new ball game. A great experience all the same. So I must special thanks to Roisin O'Dea at Today FM for setting it up, to Ray D’arcy for having me on, Mairead Farrell, and of course, Rachel Allen (that was such a surprise!) and, last but not least, Dear Husband who sent in the email to the show in the first place. Oh yes, and thank YOU for listening and reading too! What a day. And, as if that wasn’t mad enough, The Irish Sun contacted me and they’re going to run an article in tomorrow’s paper so keep an eye out if you happen to get your hands on a copy. So, for now, back to the cooking…

It’s not that I have gone crazy on desserts as last while, it’s just that I don’t want to get to the end of the Challenge and have only desserts to cook so I thought I’d get a few out of the way. Therefore, next on my list was Raspberry and coconut pudding.

I took a large delf casserole dish (minus the lid) and smeared raspberry jam over the base. In a large bowl, I sieved in plain flour and baking powder. Next, I added caster sugar, dessicated coconut, vanilla extract, eggs, milk and melted butter. I gave it all a stir and once it came together, I poured it into the dish and popped it into the oven for 40 minutes. The recipe said it would be ready when the top was golden and the centre would spring up again when pressed.

The verdict…

Dear Sister No.3 had been on to me for a while to make this particular recipe so I duly notified her in the early evening that it was on the menu and to call round. She loved it to say the least. Her verdict was ‘amazeballs’ and gave it 11 marks out of 10 (!). Both Baby Daughter and Dear Son got some too and loved it. I thought it was something really different and gave it 6 marks out of 10 whilst Dear Husband scored it 5 marks out of 10. We all know now from the radio episode what his scoring system is and, it’s confirmed, he’s a hard marker!

Overall, I enjoyed making this recipe as it was really easy. Although it took a while to cook, it didn’t need a lot of attention which I loved. I’m definitely going to make this one again which Dear Sister No.3 will be glad to here. In fact, I sent her home with two more portions in those silver boxed trays as the recipe made a lot. I’ve decided though that tomorrow I’m not going to make a dessert so until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment