Wednesday 12 September 2012

Day 125: Quick prawn korma


I appreciate that it’s probably not normal per se to ‘love’ plates and cups and bowls and large serving dishes but, I admit it, I love them. And the retail emporiums that stock such lovelies, well, I try to steer clear of them most of the time but, every now and then, well, I can’t help myself. That includes places like Avoca but unfortunately the nearest one to me is Belfast. On the good side though, I do have a place near my work which stocks similar lovelies and, today, I made a quick visit en route home.

On the subject of dishes, when we moved home three and a half years ago when Dear Son was one week old (yes, I know – crazy and not recommended!), I distinctly remember Dear Husband saying that if he ever had to pack one more plate or one more cup ever again, it would be too soon. My justification for having so many was that I needed them considering how many he usually ends up chipping or cracking when he tidies or empties the dishwasher. For some reason, he has never been too careful when handling my precious dishware.  Anyway, from that point on, I definitely cut down but, after three and half years, my stores have become depleted with only the occasional buy here and there. Not today though, I got plates, a sugar bowl and bowls and not just any kind of plates, sugar bowl and bowls but the Pip Studio ones which are absolutely gorgeous! Seriously, if you’re in Derry, you have to go into Interior Dreams at Castle Furnishings on Waterloo Street. It has such lovely stuff that, if I have to go into it, I have to remain focused on what I went in for; otherwise, I end up becoming distracted by other lovely stuff such as, well, just about everything. And the staff, well, Sinead is the owner who also runs it and is so lovely as are all the staff so you’re in good hands every time you visit. I’m a firm believer that staff make a business so this one definitely has it made.

Right so, I think I actually picked tonight’s recipe just so that I could use my lovely new Pip Studio pasta plate. The recipe was Quick prawn korma. Ok, the name also gives away the other reason why I picked this recipe. Anyway, I began by crushing cardamom seeds, cloves and fennel seeds into a powder using my pestle and mortar. In my large frying pan, I sautéed an onion, chopped garlic and grated ginger for about 10 minutes. I then added in the freshly ground spices and turned up the heat because I had to add prawns at that point. It all cooked away for about 3 minutes and then I stirred in natural yoghurt gradually. After that, I poured in 100ml of water and dessicated coconut. Once it came up the boil, I let it bubble for about 3 minutes and then served up.

The verdict…

You know that cliché about not judging a book by its cover?! Well, never judge a dish by the picture of it in a cookbook. I have to be honest and admit that when I saw the picture of it in Rachel’s cookbook, I didn’t exactly think it was too appetising looking and I would’ve been more inclined to think that Dear Husband probably wouldn’t like it; however, I needed a quick dish tonight and it fitted the criteria. Surprisingly though, Dear Husband actually liked this recipe to the point where he gave it 7 marks out of 10. He actually went back to the pan for seconds so that was a really good sign. It was a simple recipe to make and I'm sure that I'll make this again as I usually have all the ingredients in stock.

One of the many unfortunate things about being vegetarian and cooking for meat eaters is that I never taste the dishes so I basically end up cooking blind most of the time. That makes it a wee bit more difficult to perfect dishes. Anyway, I managed ok with this recipe despite not having an absolute clue as to how it would taste. One thing I did know for sure though was that it was most certainly going to look good sitting proudly in my new bowl. For now though, I’m already wondering which new dish to use tomorrow night and most definitely will have to store them in a different cupboard to my regular dishes – that’s if, of course, I want to keep them chip free…

No comments:

Post a Comment