Thursday 13 September 2012

Day 126: New potato salad


Ok so tonight I was doing another one of my cook-it-tonight-but-serve-it-tomorrow dinners seeing as that particular recipe takes 2.5 hours to cook. In the meantime though, I thought I’d tell you about the New potato salad recipe I made one Sunday lunchtime.

The first thing I had to do was boil new potatoes and a few eggs which cooked in the same saucepan only I took the eggs out after 10 minutes. While the potatoes cooked on, I cooled the boiled eggs by placing them in a bowl of cold water. Next on the list was to make the vinaigrette which consisted of olive oil, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and chopped tarragon. Once the potatoes were ready, I tossed them in the vinaigrette and added capers, gherkins and scallions. I served the salad by dividing it up and adding a boiled egg to the plate.

The verdict…

Luckily, I had the services of two other guinea pigs other than myself which included Dear Husband (of course) and Dear Sister No.3. The marks went like this – 6 marks out of 10 from me; 7 marks out of 10 from Dear Sister; and 9 marks out of 10 from Dear Husband. I never thought I’d ever see the day when Dear Husband would give a salad a higher score than me as it’s usually the other way around. I did like the recipe but as someone who was only recently introduced to tarragon courtesy of this Challenge, I am still in the process of making up my mind as to whether or not I actually like it. Plus, I didn’t bother with the boiled egg for my salad although Dear Husband and Dear Sister ate theirs with gusto. I found the vinaigrette to be something completely different to any other salad dressing I had which, I suppose, was mainly down to the tarragon.

Overall, this recipe was really easy to make and it was a nice change to a typical potato salad. Would I make this one again for me? Probably. For Dear Husband? Definitely. As for Dear Sister, she is most definitely happy for anyone to make her any kind of meal. That’s the thing about being the youngest in the family, she has never grown out of people tending to her and, to be honest, I couldn’t blame her.

I suppose this recipe is definitely suited to summer days but it would be great as a lunch to take to work also. Having said that, when it comes to new potatoes, I’d be very happy eating them with scallions and a bit of Maldon sea salt and I don’t think there’s a dinner more Irish (to me anyway) than that. Ah, long live the spud…

No comments:

Post a Comment