Thursday 6 September 2012

Day 119: Fennel and pink grapefruit with feta


Generally speaking, I am of the opinion that there aren’t many men who would thank you for giving them a salad – certainly not within the county of Donegal and certainly not any man I know. The only exception I’ve experienced thus far has been the Parma and nectarine salad I made during the Wimbledon finals which was a real hit with Dear Husband. So, I decided to try Fennel and pink grapefruit with feta to see if this salad would fare as well.

It was all very simple. I began by peeling two grapefruits by cutting them down the side and I removed as much of the white pith that I could. I then cut them into 1cm slices and quartered them. Next, I sliced and diced two fennel bulbs and into a large bowl they went with the grapefruit. I added a pinch of caster sugar and mixed the lot. To serve, I tumbled onto plates before scattering chopped mint and cubed feta with a drizzle of olive oil and a grinding of black pepper. Now, as you know, I’m not too keen on goat’s cheese but neither am I fussed on feta so I made the same salad for myself but replaced the feta with cubed cheddar cheese which I love.


The verdict…

Going back to what I said at the beginning of this post, my opinion was further supported by Dear Husband’s verdict – 3 marks out of 10. I supposed the main reason the Parma ham salad did so well when I made it that time was because there was meat in it whereas this one didn’t have any. However, I loved this salad and gave it a very impressive 9 marks out of 10 and although I still can’t make up my mind about fennel, I definitely love grapefruit so this recipe was right up my street. I also know two of my friends would probably love this so I’m going to make this for them next week just so that I can prove my point that this is a great recipe.

Overall, a super easy recipe with the least amount of effort required. I will definitely make this one again so it’s made The List and it’s going onto the list for my work lunches too. I just won’t be making this one for dear Husband or any other male member of my family as I don’t think they would appreciate it. As for all the girls, I’m sure this would be a big hit with them and, for that reason alone, I highly recommend you try this recipe. I would love to hear your thoughts if any of you do try this recipe so keep me posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment