Sunday 2 September 2012

Day 115: Coconut and cardamom pannacotta - Part 5


Alleluia! Finally, I did it!!! After five attempts (yes, you read correctly – five!), I finally made the Coconut and cardamom pannacotta recipe properly! I admit that since the phone call came from Rachel, this was actually the third day since then that I had attempted the recipe. After Overall Try No.3 though, I knew that I was getting closer each time to finally making it a success. So, here’s exactly what happened this time round…
 

This time, I started off with the gelatine which was a major problem for me on all the previous four attempts. I used the leaf gelatine from M&S and followed the instructions on it exactly. It said to place the leaves in a bowl so I used a wide, narrow bowl and then covered it with 45ml of water. I then let it sit for 10 minutes before placing the bowl in a frying pan of simmering water. The gelatine melted and I gave it a wee stir with a fork just to be sure. Meanwhile, I got on with grinding cardamom seeds using a pestle and mortar and then added them to a saucepan of cream and sugar. I brought the mixture up to the boil and stirred it constantly until all the sugar melted. I then set it aside to infuse. By the time the gelatine was ready, I put the creamy mixture back on to heat through and then added most of the gelatine to the creamy mix. I gave it a whisk with an electric mix also. In another bowl, I poured in a can of coconut milk and gave it a light whisk in case there were any lumps. I actually removed 45ml of the coconut milk to make up for the water that I added to the gelatine leaves as per the instructions on the pack. I then added the coconut milk into the cream and gelatine mixture and gave it a brisk whisk before dividing it into four glasses.

Three and a half hours later, I was making a cup of tea and happened to check to see if the glasses had set. Miraculously, they had!!! Dear Mother and Dear Father had called to see the kids as they usually do on a Sunday evening so I had three perfect guinea pigs to test the recipe. So, I sliced some mango and set it on top of the pannacotta only, this time, I thankfully didn’t have to stack it up from the bottom of the glass as the mixture could actually take the weight of the fruit.

The verdict…

Dear Mother and Dear Father both loved the pannacotta – 10 marks out of 10! They said it was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, after all my efforts, this dessert wasn’t something that Dear Husband liked too much and, therefore, only gave it 3 marks out of 10. To be honest, I was glad that my parents had called by and liked it; otherwise, I’d have been majorly disappointed so at least their verdicts was vindication that (1) I’d made the recipe correctly and (2) it was actually an excellent recipe.

In my five attempts, I came a long way in terms of my ability to make this recipe. I definitely felt the most confident this time round as I got a feel for the recipe and Rachel’s advice made such a difference. Overall, I can most definitely say that, based on my own personal experience, I definitely did not find this recipe easy as I made such a mess of it on four previous occasions. However, I came through in the end but I just won’t have this recipe on my list if I’m ever having a dinner party; at least I won’t have pannacotta as the only dessert. I’m definitely not at the stage where I think I could perfect this recipe every time but it would be a great recipe to have seeing that it can be prepared in advance. At last, something that did go right for me this weekend!  
 
On another note, a very interesting development in the other All-Ireland semi-final today. I was actually hoping Dublin would win - just so that we could beat them on the 23rd. I only picked up the game for the second half but, to be honest, I'd have felt bad for Mayo if they'd lost after the advantage they had. So, it's a big Donegal versus Mayo final but I still reckon that Sam is headed for the hills! And, just in case, any of you happen to come into the good fortune of having All-Ireland tickets but are unable to go, I am one very keen Donegal girl who is on the lookout and, of course, will pay you for them! The scramble for tickets in this part of the world has gone a bit crazy. Here's hoping though that I get some...

No comments:

Post a Comment