Monday 3 September 2012

Day 116: Tomato and goat's (mozarella) cheese tart


Just to clarify – the recipe I’m blogging about tonight, well, I actually made it yesterday evening and the one I made this evening is the one I’m going to blog about tomorrow so, with that said, on with tonight’s post…

I thought that the Tomato and goat’s cheese tart would be an absolutely perfect recipe for a Sunday evening. We all had a big lunch in the late afternoon so this was a lovely change to our normal Sunday tea. The recipe said that ready-rolled puff pastry could be used so that’s exactly what I did – hey, do you really think I have the time or ability to make my own puff pastry?! I actually bought it in M&S a while back and I don’t know how many Saturday nights have come and gone with me forgetting to take it out of the freezer to defrost overnight. However, if I’d bothered to read the instructions, they said it could be defrosted overnight in the fridge or three hours at room temperature.

I started off by cutting a red onion into eight wedges and put them into a large bowl. Next, I sliced 6 or 7 tomatoes and left the cores out. They went into the bowl with the onions  and I then seasoned them, added a pinch of caster sugar and poured olive oil over the lot. I rolled out the pastry until I roughly had a 25 x 30cm rectangle. I must admit that I forgot to flour the surface of my large chopping board so it was a bit of a task to get it off onto a baking tray without it tearing. Once I had the pastry on the baking tray, I arranged the tomatoes and onions in rows. I know that the recipe said to use goat’s cheese but I really don’t like goat’s cheese so I used chopped up buffalo mozzarella instead. I then popped the tart into the oven for 25 minutes. By the time I removed it, the tomatoes were bubbling away and the pastry was golden. When I took it out of the oven, I slid it onto my wooden chopping board again and, of course, burned myself silly in the process! I finished off the tart by dolloping green pesto on top and served up.

The verdict…

Amazingly, Dear Husband gave this vegetarian dish (which it is!) an incredible 9 marks out of 10. I also awarded it 9 marks. Dear Mother and Dear Father of course gave it full marks again. Ah, that's the thing about my parents – they’re still full of praise of my efforts even though I’m all grown up now! Even if it was a disaster, they’d probably still say it was lovely but that’s parents for you (thankfully!). Even Baby Daughter loved this tart and couldn’t get enough of it; therefore, I’ve discovered that she loves puff pastry so I must keep that in mind.

Will I make this again? Most definitely! Undoubtedly, a great recipe and absolutely perfect for Sunday tea or I’m thinking afternoon tea too. I urge you to make this recipe. It was super easy and super yummy with the least amount of fuss. A real star in this Challenge and I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment