Friday 29 June 2012

Day 50: Chicken and chorizo with rice

Day 50

Complete and utter psycho are the only words that I can use to describe Dear Father’s rooster. Well, it’s no longer his rooster as Dear Mother told me he sold it to a man the other week. Hey, wait a minute! That’s what they used to tell me when I was child when suddenly there was one less poor old chicken or duck up the garden!!! I can’t believe I didn’t cop that one on before now. Well, all I can say is that the chicken used in tonight’s dinner definitely wasn’t our rooster. It really was a complete and utter fruit cake. Any time Dear Father would go up in the morning to let it, the chickens and ducks out or to put them all to bed at night, the rooster would go berserk and start attacking him by jumping on him and pecking him. Of course, it was ok for us safe within the confines of the house, looking out the kitchen window at this comedy show. We’re all heart, aren’t we?! Well, if he is gone to another home, it’d be fair to say that we won’t be surprised if it lands back with the owner looking for a refund on the grounds of the rooster having mental health issues. Speaking of which, I think I’ve mentioned this before but one of our dogs (Darwin Dog, to be exact) is also in need of a pet psychologist because I’m convinced that he is a compulsive eater. He honestly can’t stop eating. If we were to continually give him food, he’d keep eating it. He is the size of a sheep, the poor thing but he is never happier than when he is eating. Hmmm, reminds me of someone else…

Anyway, as I said, tonight it was chicken – Chicken and chorizo with rice to be precise. Dear Husband and I were going out for dinner so the babysitters were summonsed which consisted of Dear Sister No.1 and her husband. I had to find a name for him and thought of Rugby Dude but Dear Sister insisted that I called him something else which I have shortened down to the initials – the GG. Not sure if we thought that one out but that’s his name for now until he protests and wants a different name! So, the deal with babysitting in our house is that they do the babysitting and I feed them. Usually, they are en route home from work too. And if there is any mention of me making anyone else dinner other than Dear Husband and the two children, then Dear Sister No.3 lands. Dear Sister No.3 is the youngest and all four of us sisters live within a mile of each other so she spends a lot of the time going from house to house for dinner. She’s the youngest and most spoilt, of course. And yes, my Dear Mother has been known to still send her down dinner with one of my other sisters for fear she’d starve! Seriously.

Well, seeing as it was my first day of summer holidays (one of the many joys of working in education), I was able to get dinner started earlier than normal on a Friday. First of all, I added rapeseed oil to my lovely big casserole dish. I then fried diced chorizo for about 4 minutes before taking it out and putting it aside on a plate. I then put the chicken into the dish which I had seasoned beforehand. Now, the recipe actually said to use 1kg of chicken thighs or drumsticks but I actually used a combination of chicken thighs, a few breast of chicken and diced breast of chicken – simply to use up what was already in the fridge. After 8 minutes, I added diced onion and sliced garlic which I fried for about 5 minutes. In went 200ml of white wine and 300g of rice which simmered for 4 minutes before adding chicken stock. Once it came up to the boil, I put the lid on and simmered it for 20 minutes. To finish, I added in the diced chorizo again and garnished with freshly chopped parsley. I took a photo of it and, at that point, ran out the door as my chariot awaited.
The verdict...

Dear Husband and I had the most delicious meal in the Beach House again and when we got home, I had to get a full rendition of how they enjoyed (or didn’t enjoy) the chicken. Unbeknownst to me, I had actually received a text towards the end of our dinner from Rugby Dude/the GG to say (in his Galway accent) that it was a ‘fine feed’ and gave it 10 out of 10. Dear Sister No.1 gave it 10 out of 10 and so did Dear Sister No.3. Really delicious, they said. What a result!
 
I enjoyed making this recipe because it was a one-pot-wonder and the preparation wasn’t difficult. It probably took me closer to 20 minutes to prepare but I’m not a proper chef who is super-practised in peeling and chopping but I’m definitely getting faster. It looked nice in the dish even though my photography skills don't do the picture justice.

Overall, I was most happy with the scores for tonight’s efforts but, as if that wasn’t enough, Dear Sister No.1 had managed to put Baby Daughter to bed and got her to sleep even with Dear Son in the room yapping away. Amazing! I can’t even do that. Usually, it requires me bribing Dear Son to watch TV while I put the baby down to sleep. Oh, the joys of having super sisters and them being super aunties! A really good evening all round on many counts. Now, that’s the kind of thing I could get used to over the summer. Hmmm, I wonder if they are doing anything tomorrow night?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment