Thursday 7 June 2012

Day 28

Just like a lot of people, I have those evenings when I come home from work and the absolutely last thing I want to do is start into making a dinner and this evening was one of those evenings for me. So, although I had something else planned for dinner, I scoured the cookbook for a different recipe which was quicker and easier and I found it on page 30 in the Store Cupboard section with the recipe for Spaghetti with anchovies, garlic and chilli.  

Firstly, I put on the spaghetti to boil and then I sliced cloves of garlic before saut̩ing them for two minutes. After that, I added chopped anchovies with dried chilli flakes and fried them for another minute. The pasta took 12 minutes to do so, once I drained it, I tossed it into the pan of garlic and anchovies. I then added freshly chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice, some pepper and that was it. I mean, this recipe really was super quick. From start to finish, about 25 minutes Рtops!

The verdict…

Dear Husband gave the dish 6 marks out of 10. Six out of 10 in my book is not what I would consider good so he said “Well, 6.5 marks but you told me to be 100% honest!”. Apparently, in the world of Dear Husband, 6.5 is very good and 8 is outstanding! So, I said, “Well, what is 9 and 10 then if 8 is outstanding??!!” I think we are seriously going to have to review the scoring system tomorrow evening! Dear Son ate a small bit but he already had his dinner at 5 o’clock as usual and Thursdays are my late day home from work so dinner wasn't until about 8 o'clock. I take it from the amount he left in his bowl that he’s not a fan of it though. If it was nice to him, he’d eat it regardless.

I suppose 6 or 6.5 marks for a dish that is so easy and quick to make is a very good recipe to have close to hand. However, I can’t help but feel that I’ve become a victim of my own success when I go from super-effort meals (like the mussels) to the super-quick but less-effort meals such as tonight’s. But, alas, I am only human, and sometimes a working mother needs to provide a lesser dish because only then will my super-effort dishes be truly appreciated. Well…that’s my story at least…and I’m sticking to it…

No comments:

Post a Comment