So you’ve heard me mention the infamous Baked Eggs which are a favourite amongst all who come to our house so, in honour of Father’s Day tomorrow, here’s my slightly adapted version of Rachel’s recipe. Enjoy!
Baked Eggs with Chorizo, Cream and CheeseThis recipe is adapted from page 105 of Rachel Allen’s cookbook Rachel’s Food for Living. This makes enough for one adult or two children.
4 tablespoons of double cream
Salt, pepper and sugar
14 slices of chorizo sausage cut 2cm thick (this is usually half of a full chorizo sausage)
2 tablespoons of grated cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 230ºC (450ºF), Gas mark 8.
- Mix the tomato purée with the cream and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Spoon half the cream mixture into the base of two ovenproof cups, bowls or ramekins.
- Cut the whole chorizo sausage in half. Put the other half back in the fridge and, with the half you have, run the knife length-ways down the sausage on each side and peel off the skin. Slice into 2cm slices. Add 3 slices of chorizo to each dish.
- Crack an egg into each dish.
- Divide the rest of the chorizo into each dish on top of the eggs.
- Spoon the rest of the cream mixture into each dish.
- Sprinkle each dish with grated cheese.
- Place in the hot oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Make sure you buy a full chorizo sausage and not the ones that come already sliced. You can buy chorizo sausages at the deli counter in Sainsbury’s or in the fridge section in Marks & Spencers. They cost around £3 each in sterling - not sure about Euro. I can't get these in my local Supervalu - they used to stock them though. If you’re making eggs for more than one adult, I generally allow 2 eggs per person and 2 tsp tomato purée: 4 tbsp of double cream per person.
P.S. I'll still be putting up a new post for Day 37 tonight so check back later! :)