Thursday 28 June 2012

Day 49: Chocolate and marshmallow biscuit cake


When it comes to chocolate, I love it as much as the next person. I seem to like certain bars of chocolate for months on end and then get fed-up and change onto a new one. So, effectively, that means that I will eat, for example, a Bounty for months, then it will be a Dairymilk Hazelnut bar for a few months; then, it’ll be Tracker bars (which is my favourite at the minute!). Never one to deprive myself of anything, chocolate is no exception. That said, the strange thing is that there are certain chocolate delights that are just too chocolatey for my liking. For example, chocolate ice-cream, chocolate mousse, chocolate cake. However, then there are others which I really like. I’m thinking Mars Bar Squares – remember them?  I don’t make them too often but they are gorgeous. With that in mind, I was inspired tonight to make something chocolatey so it was the turn of Chocolate marshmallow biscuit cake.

First of all, I melted cooking chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. The trick to this was to actually turn off the heat once the water came to the boil and let the chocolate melt slowly. Normally, I would just keep the heat on but I was sticking exactly to the recipe. While the chocolate was melting, I got working on the rest of the ingredients which involved a lot of sweet things. There were Snickers bars, Crunchie bars, mini marshmallows and ginger nut biscuits. Basically, the biscuits and bars had to be cut or broken into tiny pieces. Once the cooking chocolate was cool enough, I added in everything else. I probably waited about 20 minutes before adding them all in because the cooking chocolate would have melted the marshmallows if it had been too hot. Once I had mixed it all together, I put it all into a square cake tin and pressed it all down with a spatula. Into the fridge the cake went for 2 hours to chill. Once they were ready, I cut them into squares.

The verdict…

Dear Husband said the squares were a ‘chocolate-lover’s dream’ and gave them 10 out of 10.  He particularly liked the mini marshmallows in them. I almost fell over when Dear Son said he didn’t like them! Em, my son doesn’t like these chocolate-filled squares?! Maybe that’s the effects of putting him on a sugar-free diet – they get to the stage where they actually don’t like sweet things?! Maybe. But I’m not convinced.
Overall, this was an extremely easy recipe to make. The thing I loved about it also is that the squares can be shared with people when they come into the house when having a cup of tea instead of plain old biscuits. I love having homemade biscuits and cakes about the house for visitors. I think it's a lot more homely. Somehow though, I don't think they will last too long in the tin though. In the mean time, I have them safely stored in a secret hiding place in the kitchen. Well, doesn't every kitchen have one of those and, no, I'm not telling you where mine is! Enjoy making this recipe - you and yours won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. If you put the biscuits into a plastic bag and hit it with the rolling pin a couple of times it speeds things up.
    I put the mini marshmellows stright into the hot chocolate and they don't melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good minds think alike but I tried the freezer bag and rolling pin thing and ended up with fine rubble so went back to breaking them up with my fingers! Interesting about the marshmallows though :)

      Delete