Friday 22 June 2012

Day 43: Artichoke puree toast


Dear Husband literally begged me to make him Chicken Tikka Masala this evening as it must’ve been 6 or 7 weeks since I made it. He really is hard done by, isn’t he?! Anyway, I gave in and the traditional Friday fish dish had to give way for my post-children Chicken tikka massala recipe. You see, pre-children, I used to spend 2-3 hours making homemade chicken tikka masala with mustard seeds, ground ginger, a mixture of all the spices, yoghurt, garlic, puree etc. It’s actually one of Jamie Oliver’s recipes. The post-children recipe involves a jar of tikka massala courtesy of M&S, a freshly chopped chilli and ready-diced chicken. Simple. Now, Dear Husband tells me that the modified recipe definitely isn’t as nice as the original but it’s the closest thing he’ll be getting to the real deal for the next 3-5 years. One good thing about the tikka massala is that Dear Son actually likes it as long as I add in some cream to cancel out the hotness a bit. So, with them fed, it meant that I could make a recipe for myself tonight instead and I decided on the Artichoke puree toast for my supper.

One of my favourite times of the week is a Friday night when the three children are in bed – and I emphasise the three in that sentence. It’s the start of the weekend and Monday seems a distant time away. I’ll have the kitchen and living room cleaned up all ready for Dear Son to wreck it all within 10 minutes of getting up in the morning and I can finally sit down with a cup of tea and a wee bite. Of course, a Friday night wouldn’t be a Friday night without the Late Late but with it being on its summer break, I watch some of the many, many programmes I’ve recorded but never get the time to watch.

So, in preparation of my peaceful Friday night, I put artichoke hearts, olive oil, lemon juice, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper into my electric mini-chopper and whizzed for about a minute. This was my first time cooking with artichokes and, to my knowledge, it was the first time I’d eaten them. I toasted a few slices of sourdough bread, spread it with butter and the purée before topping it with shavings of Parmesan cheese. Then, it was a lovely big cup of Barry’s tea. I am convinced that Barry’s tea is the nicest tea in the whole world and I’ve converted so many onto it that I honestly should be getting commission.

The verdict…

This recipe isn’t for me. I’d give it 2 marks out of 10. I probably have a very simple palate which isn’t sophisticated enough for artichokes. Either way, I can’t say that I’ll be in a hurry to eat them again. When I was putting them in the chopper, I ate one of them and must say that I wasn’t smitten with them but I thought maybe once all the flavours came together, they might’ve been nice but sadly no - not for me anyway. I don’t think Dear Husband would be fussed on this recipe either. To be honest, the chickpea toast which I made the other night was far nicer but the artichoke purée has not made The List. Now, I love Parmesan cheese so I could have eaten the sourdough bread with butter and the cheese without the purée. The only thing is, is that I hope it’s not true that eating cheese before bed gives you nightmares! If so, considering the amount of that lovely Parmesan I ate, I am in for one scary night…

No comments:

Post a Comment