Thursday 1 November 2012

Day 172: Quick fruit brûlée


A simple rookie mistake. I should have made Quick fruit brûlée in the summer when peaches and nectarines were actually in season as opposed to going to about seven different shops/supermarkets in search of them – and no to avail. Luckily though, the recipe said that I could use any fruit that I had; therefore, I settled on plums instead of nectarines and here’s how it all went…

In a large bowl, I added quartered strawberries, sliced bananas and wedges of plums. I then sprinkled some caster sugar over them followed by a tablespoon of lemon juice and then I gave it all a light stir. Next, I had to make the caramel which involved adding caster sugar into a saucepan on a medium heat. All I had to do was keep stirring the sugar on the heat. Eventually it went from fine sugar to resembling sand, then clumpy, wet sand then syrup. Honestly, I thought that there was no way that the caster sugar was going to end up as syrup without adding something else but, then again, what do I really know about food?! One thing I would say is that when the sugar does dissolve, take it off the heat immediately; otherwise, it will start to burn and, for the love of all that is good food, DO NOT be tempted to taste the syrup - YOU WILL BURN THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YOURSELF!!! How do I know that?! Erm, from experience of course. I’ll say no more about that.

Anyway, once the syrup was made, I then put a few spoonfuls of the fruit in a bowl, followed by whipped double-cream and then, using my food-mastery skills (!), I then drizzled caramel over the top of the cream and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.

The verdict…

Dear Husband said the recipe was ‘very fruity’ – I did point out that it was called Quick fruit brûlée. As we all know by now, Dear Husband isn’t too fussed on fruit so he gave this recipe a meagre 5 marks out of 10. I gave it 7 marks and probably two of those marks were for the caramel because, once it sets, it’s actually like you would get on a dessert in a restaurant – very fancy schmancy.

Overall, this recipe was easy and quick. Just as the recipe said, you could use any fruit for this dessert. I thought it was a very good recipe but Dear Husband thought it was average but he is biased against the fruit element; therefore, I will definitely make this recipe again although not for Dear Husband so onto The List this recipe goes, well, my list anyway…

No comments:

Post a Comment